Grand Challenges Impact Lab

March 6, 2024

Homebound: A Journey of Growth, Challenges, and Heartfelt Connections

gcil

As I sit here, reflecting on the whirlwind of emotions and experiences from my time in India, I can’t help but feel a sense of gratitude and accomplishment. The exhaustion is overwhelming, looking at my fellow peers’ dark circles and slumped faces. I know that we are all running on limited sleep, but this triumph of hard work is not going unnoticed. I see the hours, the tears, the painstaking details put into each of our final projects. This GCIL program has been grueling, but I can’t help this undeniable joy bubbling within me as I prepare to head back home.

This GCIL program, from the beginning, has felt like a mountain I wasn’t sure I could climb. The challenges were apparent from day one, from the discomfort of stepping into new territories with a team I knew very little about to learning how to cope with the failure of an idea I was passionate about. Throughout this journey, I’ve found happiness in capturing the beauty of fleeting moments, especially through my camera lens. I’m not sure if it’s the fear of missing out or the preservation of memories, but this simple act of taking photos has always helped me stay grounded in my thoughts and emotions.

Speaking of emotions, as you all may have noticed throughout this program, I have had no problem voicing my comments, concerns, and complaints. However, I often complain about the responsibilities of taking care of others. But deep down, I’ve come to realize that I am a mom at heart. The warm feeling I get from caring for others, even at the expense of my own well-being, is a testament to the genuine love and compassion that I feel each and every day.

Because this is my last blog, I want to give some thanks to some of the people who have made my experience here in India more endearing. Thank you to my roommate Monika, who never hesitates to share her freshly cut fruits and is willing to stay up all hours of the night to have ‘sister’ talks with me. Thank you to my self-care queen, Aaliyah, who never says no to massages or manicures and who is always down to share midnight munchies with me. Thank you to Big Brother Yak, who has provided me with insights I didn’t realize I needed and was willing to be a listening ear. These are just a few of the many examples that have helped create a source of strength for me when the challenges seem unconquerable.

I would also like to talk about some of the things I will miss the most, not only about this group of individuals but India as a whole. I will miss the way Andoni announces my last name as if I am getting ready to bat in the big leagues. I will miss the UTC staff who never fail to say hello to me and even sneak me late-night bowls of ice cream. I will miss the smell of all the exotic flowers around the city. I will miss haggling with local street vendors to get the price I want. I will miss interviews with Navita that always end in some much-needed retail therapy. I will miss the refreshing breeze you feel from riding around in rickshaws. I will miss 100 rupee slushies that always seem to hit the spot. And last but certainly not least I will miss the homely hospitality of all the Indians we have had the pleasure of visiting, from bringing out chairs to make sure we are comfortable to the offering of tea, coffee, and snacks which remind me of my own latino culture.

To my fellow GCIL students, each of you has left an irreplaceable mark on my life. From the initial discomfort to the late-night heart-to-hearts, you’ve all played a role in shaping my experience here in India. It’s a testament to the power of shared experiences, resources, and the willingness to help one another that has made this journey truly remarkable.

And now, as I prepare to return home, I can honestly say that there were moments when I doubted my ability to navigate through this program. Yet, with each challenge faced, I found resilience within myself that I never knew existed. The discomfort has transformed into a sense of accomplishment, and the late-night talks have become cherished memories. This journey has been nothing short of transformative, and I am grateful for each of you who made it unforgettable.

By Lexi